Sunday, 18 June 2006

Midwinter blues

The half-finished piece I mentioned in my last post was really tedious, so I've started again from scratch.

For the last couple of weeks the weather has been thoroughly miserable, and I have to admit we’ve hibernated a bit. The house is cold, and it’s been too wet to go outside, so we’re we spending all our time in the front room, huddled around the woodburner. So June has been a bit of a washout, really.

We’ve got a few events lined up for next month, though. We’re going to see Stomp in Wellington on July 1st, and the following week is Iain’s recess, so, snow conditions permitting, that’s when we’re planning on hitting the ski slopes. In fact, Iain’s done some research into snow sports injury statistics, (geek alert!) and has concluded that snowboarding will be less risky for my dodgy knees – so we’re probably going to do that instead of skiing.

Iain brought home a snowboarding magazine the other day, and I’ve been doing my own research of sorts, into the lingua franca of the snowboarding world.

So far, I’ve managed to compile this handy phrase book:

Hey, cuz, mad skills! You are rather good, my friend.
stoked to eat pow thrilled to be boarding on powder snow
Yo, bro’, it’s dumpin’! Goodness me, old chap, it would appear to be snowing!
keep it tight work hard at it
run it ghetto don’t work too hard at it
Dope as! Excellent!
shredding heaps doing a lot of tricks

I shall have to try out some of these on our forthcoming trips to Mount Ruapehu. ;-)

Helen

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds a bit black ghetto speak.Does one have to wear bling to do it properly or can one get away with a pair of C&A salopettes? Richard thought he'd found Nirvana when he discovered snow boarding!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane,

Fortunately, the photos in the snowboarding mag don't feature any bling. This is a good thing. Can you imagine your brother sporting gold chains from H. Samuel?

However, most of the snowboards have eye-wrenching psychedelic paintjobs and every snowboarder is wearing trousers so baggy the crotch is below knee height.

I don't think Iain will want to be associated with either of these design innovations, either. I'd love to see what he looks like in a pair of those trousers!

Anonymous said...

Surely Iain is too old for something "rad" like snowboarding?

Anyway, tell him if he wants to have a go, he's got to make his own board. If it's anything like the canoe project, the slopes will stay Iain-free for years ...

Iain said...

Dude, phear my mad skillz!

Anonymous said...

I'm not worried about your "mad skillz" - though I have heard that you're getting a bit "phat".

Anonymous said...

I'm not worried about your "mad skillz" - though I have heard that you're getting a bit "phat".

Anonymous said...

Hey, Richard, there appears to be an echo in here. ;-)

P.S. I wish you hadn't mentioned canoes.

Iain said...

Heh, I've got this great idea for building a Waka.

Anyone know where I can get 40 foot long sheets of plywood and waterproof glue?