Sunday, 5 November 2006

Doing up the house

Sorry I've not posted in a while but I've been incredibly busy. Mainly with work, but also with house restoration-type stuff. I haven't forgotten about posting the next installment of South Africa photos, but John the Floor Sander finished work yesterday and I thought you might like to see some before and after photos.

the hall floor before

and after

The floorboards aren't perfect - there are lots of old woodworm trails - but they look 500% better than the old cheapo rent-a-slum carpet. As well as the hall, we've had both bedrooms and the dining room done, so we've been sleeping on the sitting room floor for the last five days and living in the sleepout.

Well, we were living in the sleepout until yesterday, when we made the decision to move the home cinema room from the second bedroom into the sleepout, as it offers lots more space. Iain has already made the room lightproof, and we are currently trying to solve the problem of how to hang the screen and mount the projector. It will mean a lot of extra work, but when we've finished we should have a much, much better cinema room, with enough space to invite friends over to watch films with us.

As soon as the floor varnish has fully cured (in about ten days) we're going to start work on decorating the dining room. I can't say I'm looking forward to doing it, but I am looking forward to finishing!

Helen

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"John" the floor sander???

Surely some mistake. You meant to say "Iain" the floor sander. After all, the lazy git could easily manage to fit in a bit of floor sanding around those part-time lessons. And I bet he would have got the job finished really quickly, and not got bored halfway through. Just like the canoe, or the Mongols, or ... etc etc.

Anonymous said...

Eh up, Richard!

I'm sure Iain will be happy to take your sarcasm on the chin, seeing as it comes from a DIY superman such as yourself! ;-)

Iain said...

Oi! I'll have you know I'm a black belt in DIY. I've just finished screwing bits of MDF to the windows of the sleepout, so it now looks like a derelict drug den rather than a quaint summer house - all part of my master plan to build an Odeon Multiplex in the back garden. I just need to employ a sullen, spotty teenager to collect tickets and sell overpriced ice creams and it'll be sorted. Oh, and decorate the inside, recarpet, install a new sound system, put in some lighting, build component & DVD storage.... nearly done then.

Anonymous said...

I'll have you know that I've made some very sturdy shelves inb our games room, that fit the pitch of the roof perfectly. And from the MDF left over, I made a two-tier keyboard stand (half the size of the metal monstrosity it replaced). There's nowt wrong with my DIY skills, so long as I get to use power tools and circular saws.

Not got around to building a fireplace or bookshelves for the lounge yet, but I might well do something about both jobs over Christmas.

And Iain, your black belt was in nothing more serious than Origami.

Anonymous said...

PS - lost Iain's email address (or else he's done something sneaky, like changing it). Drop me a line (I have more funny cat pictures to send).

Anonymous said...

Boys, boys, calm down, calm down! Blimey, it's handbags at dawn!

If you question a bloke's DIY skills, even if he's not the slightest bit interested in DIY he takes it as an affront to his masculinity.

I'd not bat an eyelid if anyone were to criticise my abilities in sewing, knitting, cooking, cleaning, or any of the other supposedly 'womanly' skills. When it comes to matters domestic, I like to paraphrase The Commitments by saying, 'I'm crap and I'm proud.'

P.S. Richard, I've sent Iain's address to your gmail account.

Anonymous said...

I'll have you know that I can sew just fine, thank-you.

Now start on my driving and I'll be round to put your windows through.