Thursday, 18 March 2010

Another milestone reached


Me working on the yurt deck

Over the last week or so we've made a real 'do or die' effort to finish the yurt deck. By around 2pm on Sunday we'd finished oiling the floor, and we reckoned it would take us about four hours to take down the yurt, re-erect it on the deck and get all of our stuff back in. It actually took us over ten, and we fell into bed well after midnight, utterly exhausted.


Me in action nailing the floorboards with our new nail gun

All the stress and aching muscles were worth it, though. The yurt is a much nicer space to be in now, and we no longer have to worry about silage heap smells, mouldy canvas, mushrooms growing by the bed, or having to wear our wellies 'indoors'!

Iain cutting the floorboards to fit the circular beam

Now we've finished the deck we're free to concentrate all our efforts on the house, which is just as well. We got our first frost last night, and the prospect of living under canvas during colder weather doesn't appeal. We've already got two duvets on the bed -- it's only a matter of time before we'll have to resort to woolly hats as night wear.


Inside the yurt showing the finished floor


Iain relaxes in front of the yurt


Helen

4 comments:

Jim Doran said...

WOW!!! That looks amazing inside!

Darroch Cottage said...

so worth all your hard work. It looks absolutely gorgeous!
Amazing!

FibCarver said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Helen!

Jan said...

Wow. that floor looks fantastic!